New Year, New Name!
Fling Together 2020 is now Fling Together Collective!
Despite the hardships of 2020, our community innovated and found brand new ways to connect and celebrate our shared passion. In 2021, Fling Together’s goal is to foster the continued growth of these new found connections and provide a platform to highlight and celebrate the many voices of highland dance around the globe. Cheers to a new year and a new #flingtogether
Interested in being part of the Highland Echoes promo video or the 2022 tour, but missed the audition deadline? There’s still a chance to participate! Email email@example.com for information. To learn more about Highland Echoes visit highlandechoes.com/dance
You can still find the Highland Echoes dance tutorials on our Highland Echoes playlist on YouTube.
St. Patrick’s Day Showcase
Now Available on YouTube, Facebook, and IGTV
Journey around the globe with this celebration of highland and Irish dance.
Featuring dance schools from Scotland, Canada, USA, South Africa, New Zealand and Brasil. All performances are available to watch individually on Facebook, IGTV, and YouTube. You can also watch the show in its entirety on our YouTube Channel
Thank you so much to everyone who participated!
Ballet Goes Highland: The Nutracker
Thank you so much to everyone who attended our livestreams!
If you weren’t able to make it, or just want to watch again, the entire show is available to watch on our YouTube and Facebook page. This collaborative virtual showcase is a highland reimagining of a ballet classic. Enjoy performances from Marielle Lesperance & Kayleigh Jean Armstrong from Change of Step, Chloe McClean of A Reel Insight, Beret Dernbach & Alexa Smith of the Fling Together Dance Company, Highland Dance Brasil, Footwork Highland Dancers, Kate DeGood School of Dance, Flings & Things and group numbers featuring dancers from Scotland, Canada, USA, Brasil, and Chile.
Watch here: Ballet Goes Highland: The Nutcracker
Join the Challenge! The Fling Together Practice Challenge.
Join the Challenge! The Fling Together Practice Challenge.
Learn tips from elite level dancers and track your practices for a chance to win some cool prizes. Each month we will be team up with a different dancer and prize sponsor. Keep an eye on our Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram for challenge videos and prize announcements. The challenge is open to all highland dancers worldwide.
How it works:
- Download and print our Practice Challenge Tracker. This sheet is just to help you keep track of your workouts and goals. For the purposes of this challenge, you may count cross training sessions as a practice.
- Keep track of your practices. The purpose of this challenge is to motivate and connect, so feel free to share what you’ve been working on on your social channels. Make sure to tag @flingtogether and use #flingtogether
- Submit the Practice Challenge Form for a chance to win the Fling Together Practice Challenge monthly prize drawing. 1 day = 1 entry. So the more days you practice, the more chances you have to win. You can submit the form weekly or at the end of the month.
One of Fling Together Collective’s goals is to highlight events and activities happening in our global community.
Are you holding a virtual workshop or having a virtual performance (or maybe even an in person performance)? Perhaps you have a dance related initiative you’d like to promote?
Let us know! We would love to feature it on our website and social channels.
Fill out the form below and email any accompanying images to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ottawa Online 2021
July 1- 4
Coming to a computer near you…
Highland dancers from around the globe are invited to join Ottawa Online 2021 from July 1st to 4th for a completely online event.
- Canada Day Ceilidh
- Workshops run by previous Canadian Champions
- Professional Seminars
- Canada’s Duet at a Distance
- Pen Pal Pin Exchange
- Choreography Extravaganza
- Daily Events
And so much more!
Choreography Series with Celtic Coaching
Our friends at Celtic Coaching are hosting a workshop series on stamina building for the month of August!
World Tour of Highland Dance
July 7- 31 (pre-tour events in June)
The Highland Dance world is going on tour this July!
Join dancers from around the globe and dance (virtually) at our six Tour Stops!
- Jul 7-10 UK
- Jul 12-15 Canada
- Jul 16-19 South Africa
- Jul 21-22 U.S.
- Jul 24-26 New Zealand
- Jul 29-31 Australia
Register and learn more at https://worldtourhighland.wixsite.com/dance
Retired Dancer Class with Kate DeGood
Once a highland dancer, always a highland dancer…
Looking for a way to stay in shape and experience the camaraderie and fun of group lessons? Check out this great opportunity from Kate DeGood
Retired Dancer Class with Kate DeGood School of Dance
This class is designed for adult dancers who are retired and/or non-competitive. Former dancers who have been out for a short or long time are welcome, as are teachers, judges, and any other adults with a solid knowledge of basic highland steps and movements
- Everything can be done with or without elevation
- Everything can be done on or off the barre/chair
- You can join with your camera on or off- no judgement, just fun and exercise
- Classes include warmup, stretching, technique and stamina work
- Classes are drop-in style so no commitment
- $10/class via PayPal/Venmo after attending
2 classes weekly:
- Tuesdays 2pm EST
- Thursdays 8pm EST
The Highland Heart Initiative from Swinging Kilt
The Highland Dancer Who Possesses a “Highland Heart”
A pandemic and other global events have affected and changed our world including our small world of Highland Dance. Maintaining the same level of motivation, discipline, and staying upbeat can be difficult when you feel isolated and uncertain about the future. Things will be better!
With the Highland Heart Award, Swinging Kilt would like to recognize highland dancers who thrive despite demanding circumstances. These dancers are benevolent. They’re kind, sharing, helpful, and cheerful. They are diligent, hard working, persistent and motivated to improve. They are intelligent, eager, willing and teachable.
The nomination process is simple:
- Choose a deserving Highland Dancer
- Fill out the form on https://swingingkilt.com/highland-heart/
(This information will be used solely for the purposes of this contest.)
- Describe why your nomination deserves to be chosen based on the values of the Highland Heart Award (Benevolence, Diligence and Intelligence).
- Recipients are chosen for how well they represent the three values of the Highland Heart:
- Benevolence — Kind, Sharing, Helpful, and Happy
- Diligence — Hard Working, Persistent and Motivated
- Intelligence — Eager, Willing and Receptive
- A new recipient will be chosen on the last day of each month of 2021.
Only one submission is needed to be considered throughout the year.
- Award winners will receive a Highland Heart T-shirt, Recognition Certificate and will be featured on Swinging Kilt’s blog and social media.
Follow @swingingkilt on social media for award announcements.
Need some help with your practice plans or maybe just need some inspiration?
Check out Celtic Coaching Company. They provide free weekly content on their YouTube Channel to help inspire your training and teaching methods.
Celtic Coaching Company was created by Fiona Connell and Aquila Aguirre da Silva with the goal of guiding dancers towards more efficient and consistent practice habits. We all have goals we want to be working towards, but sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start. Celtic Coaching Company provides personalized practice plans to help dancers achieve their specific goals, as well as create free content on their YouTube channel to inspire your training and teaching methods. We want to create a space where dancers can find Strength and Grace all in one place.
Choreography with Flings & Things
Flings & Things and Fling Together would like to challenge you to keep practicing the routines and record your own versions. Post your videos to your socials using #flingtogether2020. Make sure to tag Flings & Things and Fling Together, so we can see your videos too. Let’s fill our feeds with some fun choreography and share our love for highland dance!
2020 Broadsword Challenge Class
Thank you to everyone who attended the live 2020 Broadsword Challenge Class. For those of you who couldn’t attend, the class recording is now available on YouTube. The music for the dance can be found on our channel as well. You can download the written steps and diagram here. We encourage you to practice the steps and post your version of the dance to your socials. Make sure to tag Fling Together and use #flingtogether2020 so we can see your efforts. Happy dancing!